Tuesday 1 July 2014

Medical Update

As I've been suffering from giddy spells where my vision seems to white out and I feel like I'm going to fall over I thought that a trip to see the diabetes nurse was in order as I had visions of my blood pressure being too low or other such horrors.

Luckily as it turns out it would appear that this has been caused by low blood sugar that stems from my weight loss impacting on my type 2 diabetes as when she took a blood sample it's glucose level was only 3.5 mmol/L  when it should be 4 to 7 mmol/L before meals or under 8.5 mmol/L two hours after a meal.

So the outcome of this was that once again my medication was reduced and I was also supplied with a new blood monitor. So now I have to regularly check my blood glucose level before a meal, after a meal and when I have one of the giddy spells. Also my cholesterol is low, which again is good news as it indicates that I may no longer need to be taking statin tablets; oh my blood pressure incidentally was OK.

The main thing is I now know exactly what is causing the issue and I can modify my eating to try and combat it, I'm going to transfer one of my evening snacks, most likely the low calories crisps, to the afternoon and hopefully when I have my next proper blood test later in the month everything will indicate that I'm in remission from type 2 diabetes and I'll be able to come off of medication altogether, having to stab myself with a self propelled needle a few times a day is a price I'm prepared to pay if this is the outcome.

Also the nurse took the details of the MyFitnessPal app off of me after I gave her a quick demo as she wants to loose a few extra pounds herself, she said that this will be her homework for tonight.

Diet Coke Update

It's my pleasure to announce that I'm now totally free of the near iron grip of Diet Coke, all of the cravings have gone and it's become like chocolate and jelly beans: consigned to the past, I don't even find myself thinking about it any more. Getting rid of Diet Coke from my life was one of the hardest things I've done; I have found that giving up junk food and diet soda was far more difficult that when I gave up smoking in my twenties, the good thing is that I'm sleeping much better and I'm really enjoying my single morning and afternoon black coffees and the caffeine hit from them is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment