Thursday 3 July 2014

The Healthier Cooked Breakfast

One of the joys of a Sunday morning for me was having a cooked breakfast and I thought that those days would be over when I started my new healthy living, but no, I discovered that there is still a way to enjoy this treat without going to over the top with the calories. Admittedly the more I got into the habit of losing weight and wanting to get to my target the more I decreased my intake of cooked breakfasts on a Sunday but it really was a help when I started off so I thought I'd share this with you.

A majority of the products used are from Sainsbury's so for ease I will link to all of the ingredients at Sainsbury's.

Oil: Frylight Sunflower Oil Spray- 1 calories per spray.

Bread: Warburtons White Bread, Medium Sliced 400g - 58 calories per slice.

Bacon: Sainsbury's Be Good To Yourself Smoked Bacon Medallions (also available unsmoked) - 33 calories per rasher.

Sausages: Be Good To Yourself Pork Sausages - 81 calories per sausage.

Baked Beans: Heinz Reduced Sugar & Salt Baked Beans Snap Pots - 147 calories per pot.

Eggs:  Free Range Woodland Large Eggs - 85 calories per egg.

Now this may not seem like a "full" a breakfast as you're used to but losing weight is all about portion control and giving and taking a bit in order to achieve your goals. One tip I have is think of how many of each item you'd like to have and reduce it by one, so for example I'd normally have three slices of toast, so I'd actually have two and so on. The more you get into the healthy way of living the more you'll find yourself able to cut this down even further, but it's a good starting point.

My healthier breakfast is:


  • Two slices of toast: 116 calories.
  • Two rashers of bacon: 66 calories.
  • Three sprays of oil in a medium to small frying pan for the bacon: 3 calories.
  • Two sausages, baked: 162 calories.
  • One egg poached: 85 calories.
  • One spray of oil in the egg poaching pod: 1 calories
  • One baked bean snap pot: 147 calories.
This is a grand total of 580 calories

As I noted in an earlier post because I have beans I don't use margarine on the toast as you don't notice it's missing.


Now for comparison is an average cooked breakfast that I used to have using standard ingredients and the larger portions before I decided it was time to lose weight:


  • Three slices of toast: 288 calories.
  • Four rashers of bacon: 276 calories.
  • Three sprays of oil for the bacon: 3 calories.
  • Three Sausages, baked: 414 calories.
  • Two fried eggs: 170 calories.
  • Three sprays of oil for the eggs: 3 calories.
  • One tin of baked beans: 328 calories.
This is a grand total of 1482 calories

Now when you consider that today all of my three meals and snacks totalled 1060 calories you may begin to understand where my weight problem stemmed from!

No comments:

Post a Comment